Tuesday, March 13, 2007

17) MMORPGs - Virtual "Drug"?

I had weaned myself off the crazy levelling up cycle in MapleStory for 1 week. Yet it was not without any struggle. Much as I "hated" the mindless hacking and slashing, I felt a little regret at having to give up such a "good" character that I've spent months building up.

Welcome to the world of MMORPGs, where it gets harder to quit by the day. Much like DRUGS!

The more I play, the more powerful I get, the more I will "lose" if I quit the game. In ordinary games, one starts from the same "level 0" everytime he plays the game, there is a starting and ending to the game.

For MMORPGs, the game never ends. One always carries his character and investment to the next time he plays the game - you don't "waste" your time.

Herein lies the biggest trap - in order not to waste his time, the gamer feels obliged to continue investing into the character.

Look at the the evidence - I am level 32 now. :p

No comments: