Friday, January 26, 2007

10) Somebody Vs. Nobody

Dream unaccomplished in the real world, but achieved in the virtual world

Due to an accident in Army where I had a crack fracture in my wrist, I was left with less than steady hands after that. Since then, any thing which required delicate minor movements of hand actions, I was not able to be up to it. Sad to say, archery was something I could not master because I cannot withstand holding the bow steady for long. It was a dream unaccomplished.. I can never be like my hero Legolas.. I feel like a nobody.

However in Maple Story, I finally found my significance! I have revived my dream of becoming a good archer! Without the need of steady hands, I can become SOMEBODY here, as long as I train hard, spend long hours in the game and spend more money (both virtual and real) to get the rare items!

Comments:

  1. Many youths grow up feeling like underachievers in school, family and amongst their friends. They are scolded, ridiculed, overpowered in many ways and there was only one way to make their presence felt and be heard - in the virtual world! Just by investing time and punching away at the keyboard, the child can become someone powerful in the game!
  2. Dreams unachieved, suppressed or lost can be resurrected in MMORPGs. One doesn't need to dream of becoming exactly like the game character, but the fact that the child has control and can determine his destiny step by step makes it enticing for him to stay in the virtual world and refuses to come out.
  3. Life is no longer an uncertainty.. Destiny is in the hands of the gamer!

No comments: