Thursday, December 14, 2006

1) Downloading, Installing & Registering Maple Story

I started downloading Maple Story (http://www.maplesea.com/) overnight on 6 Dec - I was to be on leave the following day.

It's a huge download! 600+ MB! (I later tried to do it on my office Wireless LAN and it bombed out after a while). Yet downloading it overnight on my notebook at home was a breeze. I did not even have to bother with it.

Installation was easy too! So parents out there, know that it's not hard for ANY child to get started on MS at all!

Registration was a little bit more difficult and complex even for a seasoned user like me. I had to mess around with 2 registrations:
  1. Asiasoft Passport
  2. Maple Story Registration

The first required my NRIC, presumably for administrative purposes, to enable Asiasoft to track down any offenders and also to maintain some leads for security issues. It also becomes a gamer database for Asiasoft, to launch and gamers to access all the rest of their games (mind you, they are doing very well)

The second registration is for Maple Story proper, nothing difficult with that. My confusion was more with mixing up the 2 of them.

Yet after messing around with a few authentication emails, I was ready to go! Maple Story here I come!


Comments

1) I would think this process is easy for any child to complete on their own, they are tech savvy enough. Yet it will probably pose a problem for some parents who are not as familiar with the gaming world.

2) The NRIC part is a little of concern - giving up the NRIC can open up a host of security issues on the internet. Yet it is exactly for the same reason that Asiasoft needs this NRIC, it is a powerful piece of information if they want to do anything with the gamers.

No comments: