Tuesday, December 26, 2006

7) Fame & Fortune

Just when you think betrayal, backstabbing and false accusations only happen in real life. Be prepared.. it happens in the virtual world too. And in Maple Story, such situations are commonized by terms such as "Kill Steal" and "Defame".

I had two contrasting encounter in my virtual journey. The good and the bad.

First encounter. We joined forces together in farming - Partying. At the end of the partying experience, "she" gave me loads of FREE items inclusive of a high level Magician cape which I could sell for 50,000 mesos! In appreciation, I increased "her" fame level. Result: Both of us are happy.

Second encounter. In the midst of farming with many other players, I took away a Fresh Chicken dropped by one of the monsters killed. Due to the commotion, I wasn't sure whether was it me or other players whom killed the monster and should get the item. Somehow I picked it up and there came an angry character whom demanded that I return the chicken to "him". I refused and immediately "he" defamed me - dropped my fame level. Result: I felt upset, as if I was maligned and falsely accused of something I didn't do!

Comment:
  1. The element of anguish, grief, joy and happiness can also be experienced in the virtual world. But enhanced danger here because nobody is processing these events, emotions and thoughts with them!
  2. Virtual friendships can be easily established. It comes with the "You scratch my back, and I scratch your back" mentality. However, behind each virtual character, you have no idea about the real identiy! The "SHE" can turn out to be a "HE"!

No comments: